How to install and Configure Adsense, Step by Step
We finally installed Google AdSense in our Site.
Here, we will explain you everything about it, Step by Step.
We’ll talk about:
- How to Apply for an AdSense account.
- How to be Accepted in Google AdSense.
- How to set up Google AdSense.
- How to link your Google Analytics account with AdSense.
- How log does AdSense take to show ads.
How to apply for an AdSense account?
It is very easy to apply for a Google AdSense account.
- As long as you already have a Site, of course.
- Enter the Google AdSense Site.
- Click on “Start”.
- Sign In with your Google account.
- Copy the id Code.
- Insert it between <HEAD></HEAD> in your Main Page.
- Update your AdSense Status.
To insert the Code, we downloaded the famous “Insert Headers and Footers” Plugin.
- It inserts the AdSense code in all your pages easily, but there is no problem.
- Later, you’ll have to do this so… You’ll save one Step.
Now, you’ll have to wait some days until Google reviews your Site.
It took us 10 days.
- So… be patient.
After 10 days, Google sent us an e-mail:
- Our Site was accepted.
How to get accepted at Google AdSense
This is the one million question:
- What do you need to be accepted?
We don’t know.
- In fact, nobody knows for sure: only Google knows.
What we can tell you is what content we had when we applied for an AdSense account:
How many Pages and Posts we had
When we applied for our AdSense account, our Site had:
- 106 Pages.
- On average, they are around 1,500 to 2,000 words long.
- 98 Posts.
- On average, they are around 700 to 800 words long.
* Our Forums don’t have traffic yet, and our Users are not very active.
In case you are interested in what our Site looked like when AdSense accepted our request, we have published a whole Post where we talk about it:
- How much traffic we had.
- The structure of our Site.
- How old was our Site when it was accepted.
Check it out here: “How to Get Approved by AdSense: Our experience“.
How to set up Google AdSense
Once your Site has been accepted, it is time to Set Up your Ads.
We opted to install Autoads.
- It is a quick and easy option.
Now, we’ll explain you how to activate and configure Auto Ads… and some Tips:
1. Download and place the "ads.txt" file
As soon as we entered our Main menu, we noticed a warning:
- “Earnings at risk – You need to fix some ads.txt file issues“.
It is something normal: everybody has this message in the beginning.
- By default, Sites don’t have this file.
It is a “txt” that helps prevent fraud.
It is very simple to install it.
- Download the file (by pressing the “Download” button).
- Place it in your Site main folder (where you have your “robots.txt” file).
It is not mandatory but, if Google suggests it … it must be for something.
2. Check your Settings
We recommend that you check your General Settings, specially:
- Name and Address.
- Mobile number and e-mail.
- Payment Threshold.
* At the beginning your earnings will be reduced so, don’t worry too much.
This payment threshold is $100 or €70.
- Once you reach it, Google will pay you.
You can increase it or postpone payment for up to a year.
As you can see: “you don’t need a payment method until your earnings threshold has been reached”.
In other words:
- Google does not initially request your payment details.
Why does Google not request this information?
Because only a fraction of the Sites that get an AdSense account reach a decent amount of traffic.
- Enough to generate a certain Income.
Google can’t pay $1 for each Site: it would be almost impossible to manage.
- They have to Filter the best Sites.
3. Enter the Ads menu and Get the Code
Now, AdSense requires you to Copy and Paste a Code in all your Pages/ Posts.
- Between <HEADER></HEADER>.
However, it is the same code you implemented in the past in your Adsense identification.
- If you used “Insert Headers and Footers” as we suggested, you already have this Code in all your pages.
You have to do nothing if you used this Plugin.
4. Enter your Edit menu
Now, you have to click on the “Pencil Icon”.
- On the right.
It takes you to the Ads configuration Menu.
5. Enable Auto Ads
As we mentioned before, we have chosen to use Auto Ads.
- We think it may be the easiest, cleanest and safest way to place Ads.
With this option enabled AdSense will automatically place all Ads.
- If you don’t use Auto Ads, you have to copy and paste Codes where you want the Ads to be placed.
- It gives you more control… But it is tedious and time consuming.
AdSense gives you the opportunity to inspect every page you want and see how your ads will be presented.
We recommend you to check different Pages and Posts.
- This will give you a better idea of what your site will look like.
Remove the Ad position you don't like
As you can see in the image above, there is a “trash can icon” on each Ad, allowing you to Remove that Ad position.
If you see something you don’t like, don’t worry: Remove it.
6. Manage your Exclusions
But … What if you don’t want any Ad on a particular page?
You must tell AdSense, on which Pages or Posts, you don’t want any Ad units.
- Otherwise, it will place Ads everywhere.
You can do this with the Page exclusions tool.
Here, you only have to introduce the URL of each Post or Page where you don’t want any Ad.
We don’t want Ads in our:
- Main Page.
- Section Pages.
- Members Page.
You can also choose not to have ads on all pages of a certain section.
We don’t want our Users to see Ads in their Profile menu.
- And all the Profiles are under our “Members” section (in our Site).
7. Configure your Ad Load
Now, you can decide the amount of Ads, you want in your Site.
Of course, the more Ads you place in your Site the more impressions you’ll receive.
- And you will make more money… supposedly.
But… If you place an excessive amount of ads, your Users won’t have a nice experience, and won’t come back.
- If your “numbers” decrease, Google could even penalize your Rankings.
We decided not to change the default value: 50%.
8. Configure your Ad formats
In the Ad Formats, you can decide which type of Ad you want (or don’t) in your Site.
As you can see in the image above, we deactivated the “Vignette” format.
- It is a whole-screen annoying format.
Maybe, it increases the amount of Clicks, but we don’t want to compromise the experience of our users.
9. Enable Matched content (if your Site is elegible)
If your Site is elegible, you can activate the “Matched Content” option.
- It suggests related-advertisements to your Users.
This setting increases the chances that your users will click on the ads.
- If your Site is about Mobile phones, your Ads will show Mobile phone ads.
If you just installed AdSense, it is normal for your Site to not be eligible yet.
How can you know if your Site is elegible for Matched content?
Check your “Sites” Menu in AdSense.
If you don’t see a “Matched content” option below “Sites” (as in the image above) means that your Site is not Elegible yet.
- As you can see in the image, our Site is not elegible yet.
10. Check everything and press "Apply to Site"
Once you have set everything up, you should check different Pages with the Inspection Tool.
If everything seems fine, it’s time to apply those ad settings to your site.
Just press the “Apply to Site” Button.
Don’t worry if you’re not too sure about your ad settings.
- You can change what you want, when you want.
- AdSense is flexible and easy.
Link your Google Analytics account with AdSense
This Step is not mandatory, but we recommend that you Link your Google Analytics account to your AdSense account.
- It is very easy and you can analyze your numbers more efficiently.
Just enter your Google Analytics “Admin Menu”:
In your “Product Linking” Column, Click on the “AdSense Linking” option.
Once inside, you just have to select and accept the link.
- It is quite simple.
That is all.
How long does AdSense take to show ads?
We saw the first ad 5 hours after enabling “Auto Ads”.
- You can see it in the image above.
We are sure that this amount of time varies for each Site.
- Just be patient.
And when do you start to see some results in AdSense?
We saw our first “penny” 2 hours afters seeing the first Ad: