It is possible that you have heard about this Management Style…
…But you don’t even know what Autocratic means…
Let’s see the Oxford Dictionary:
- “Taking no account of other people’s wishes or opinions; domineering“.
As you can see, Autocratic is virtually a synonym with Authoritarian.
As you may have already guessed, the Autocratic Management is a type of Management in which Managers have absolute Power and do not accept Objections.
Let’s see then the Characteristics of this Management Style:
Characteristics of Autocratic Management
The Manager does not usually accept Feedback from his Subordinates.
- He/She commands, and the others just obey.
The Hierarchical structure is Reduced.
- So the Managers can Implement their Commands with no interference.
Decisions are Implemented very Quickly.
- Since there is little internal bureaucracy.
Managers are usually employees of the Company.
- Rather than external signings. They must know the Company very well.
You may be wondering:
- But, why would these companies accept such authoritarian Management Style?
There are many occasions where this is very normal, and even the most adequate.
We’ll give you some examples:
Examples of Autocratic Management Style
- Things must be done with precision and changes must be made quickly.
A Company that is going through an internal Restructuring.
- It will only survive if Changes are adopted Quickly.
New Born Companies.
- To get big quickly, they need to not have too much internal bureaucracy.
As you can see, for certain Projects, this Management Style is not the Best.
- For certain Creative Projects.
- For Big Institutions that need Internal Controls.
- For Companies that depend on the Talent of their employees.
Pros and Cons of an Autocratic Management
- Decisions are made and Implemented Quickly.
- The Company needs less Internal Structure.
- It is the best Management Style during Economic Crisis.
- It Depends on the Talent of the Manager.
- It lacks of Internal Controls.
- Employees usually don’t like it.